The first annual Cardboard Boat Regatta in partnership with Fishers Parks & Recreation and The Indianapolis Sailing Club takes place on Saturday, August 4 at 10 a.m.at the Indianapolis Sailing Club, and encourages creative thinking as teams race sailboats designed and created from cardboard. After the race, enjoy food, music, and more. Registration is free!
Children and adults can get ready for the Cardboard Regatta by recruiting teammates, registering their team and building their cardboard boats. Teams can be made up for 2 to 4 people.
Prior to the races, boats will be judged in the following categories (Corporate/club teams and family/individual teams will be judged separately):
- Best Original Design
- Best Construction or Construction Technique
- Best Decorated
- Best Team Effort
- People’s Choice
View rules and regulations for additional details about boat construction and competition details.
How to Register
- Participants must register before the event by August 3. Registration is free.
- All riders must have read and understand the rules and signed the liability waiver.
- The course is roughly 200 yards.
- Only corrugated cardboard may be used to create boats, and all boats entered must have an attached sail (the sail may use non-cardboard materials such as cloth or plastic sheeting). See rules and regulations for full details on boat construction. .
- Propulsion may come from two sources, paddling or sail. Participants may not be propelled by kicking or paddling by participants in the water.
- During the races, each event will be timed and awards will be given to the fastest times in each event.
- There will also be awards for the longest and the shortest boats to get around the race course and for the Most Spectacular Sinking.
- Participants must register before the event by August 3.
- All participants must have read and understand the rules and signed the liability waiver.
- Teams may consist of 2 to 4 members.
- All riders must bring and wear their own Personal Flotation Devices (PFD's) and paddles.
- View rules and regulations for additional details about boat construction and competition details.