Position Type: Seasonal
Salary Range: $10.25 Hourly
Location: Public Works Garage, Fishers, Indiana
This temporary position performs general labor to supplement the non-seasonal workforce to ensure city streets, right-of-ways, park grounds and facilities are maintained. Position will be required to work some evening, weekend and holiday hours.
Fishers Department of Public Works (DPW) is responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of all municipal assets. These responsibilities include maintaining 340 center lane miles of roads and associated right-of-way which includes snow removal, crack sealing, patching, irrigation needs, traffic signals, striping, and street cleaning. DPW also maintains 1300 acres of parks and school grounds that includes over 60 baseball/softball fields, over 60 athletic fields, and over 500 acres of common area. You've also probably seen DPW at work if you've attended any special events held in the community. From concerts to 5K runs; DPW staff is on the scene making sure all things run as smoothly as possible.
Examples of Duties
- Assist in curb and street repairs, asphalt and concrete work, etc.
- Trim trees and bushes along city roadways
- Pick up debris/trash along right-of-ways
- Maintain existing public open space areas, empty trash cans, etc.
- Assist in maintaining park managed facilities, athletic fields, irrigation systems and public playgrounds
- Clear brush, pull weed, rake, dig and perform miscellaneous gardening duties in and around municipal facilities and grounds
- Clean public restrooms at various city parks and buildings
- Mowing and weed trimming
- Assist on sanitary/storm sewer cleaning equipment
- Set up of tables, chairs, equipment, etc. for special events
- Clean shop and equipment as necessary
- Ability to lift and carry objects weighing up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to climb ladders and maintain balance.
- Ability to interact and communicate effectively with a variety of people.
- Able to handle several projects at the same time.
- Reliable and trustworthy.
- Ability to work independently and within a team.
This role could work as many as 35 hours per week as needed and available for seasonal assistance. Work is anticipated to end sometime in November but it could possibly go longer into winter if there is a mild winter and seasonal assistance is still needed.