Food Safety and Permitting

File a Complaint

All Fishers-based restaurants and foodservice locations must adhere to the guidelines of the Fishers Health Department. Individuals who wish to file a complaint or report a potential violation may submit it via the form linked below. 

What should be reported?
Complaints about an establishment
Complaints about a food product
  • Cleanliness/sanitation
  • Poor employee practices
  • Improperly cooked or handled food
  • Food that tastes bad; foreign material in food
  • Foreign material in a product
  • Chemical taste/smell
  • Tampering
Complaint Opens in new window

Safety and Permitting


If you are an existing permanent food establishment, you may have been notified by the Hamilton County Health Department that your existing permit is no longer valid. The Fishers Health Department is honoring all existing 2020 permits issued by the Hamilton County Health Department. Additionally, the Fishers Health Department has opened up its electronic permitting process to help ease the transition of permitting. 

Click here to submit a copy of your existing permit to transfer to a Fishers Health Department permit. 

For questions or assistance, contact the Fishers Health Department at 317-567-5045 or

Permanent Food Establishment Application

A Permanent Retail Food Establishment is an operation that stores, prepares, packages, serves, vends, or otherwise provides food for human consumption. The term includes all operations where consumption is on or off the premises, and regardless of whether there is a charge for the food. These are a few examples: a restaurant, a catering operation, a grocery store, a tavern, or a food bank. 

Apply Opens in new window

Questions? Contact the Fishers Health Department at 317-567-5045 or

Temporary Food Permitting

A Temporary Retail Food Establishment Permit required for a food establishment that operates at a fixed location for a period of time not more than 14 consecutive days in conjunction with a single event or celebration. Temporary events may include city celebrations, fairs, and festivals.

Apply Opens in new window

Questions? Contact the Fishers Health Department at 317-567-5045 or

Food Truck

A Food Truck Permit is required for any mobile concessions operation within City limits. These permits are valid for one calendar year and must be renewed annually. 

Apply Opens in new window

Questions? Contact the Fishers Health Department at 317-567-5045 or

Farmers’ Markets, Not for Profit, and Home-Based Vendors

  • All farmers’ market vendors, not-for-profits, and home based vendors need to register here with the Fishers Health Department 
  • Apply for a temporary permit (good for an entire season at one location), if you are a vendor sampling, preparing, or serving foods *Certified Food Handler requirements may apply*
  • No permit is required for a food vendor who is 
    • Offering only whole, uncut fresh fruits and vegetables or 
    • Offering only prepackaged foods from an approved source that are not potentially hazardous
    • A Home Based Vendor operating under Indiana Code 16-42-5-29

Registered Fruit and Vegetable Growers and Distributors

How and Why to Register Your Farm

Produce farms that are covered under the FSMA Produce Safety Rule are required to register with the Indiana State Department of Health by filling out the Registration Form for Produce Farms and send it to the address at the top of the form.

Temporary events may include city celebrations, fairs, farmers markets, and festivals.